Two crore children create Surya Namaskar record
Patna: `Surya Namaskar` programmes were organised on Monday across the country on the occasion of Swami Vivekananda`s 150th birth anniversary.
Report suggests that around 2 crore school students performed `Surya Namaskar’ across different states.
The School Education Department and NGOs in many states had made elaborate arrangements for ensuring grand presence in the event.
In Bihar, a controversy had erupted over making `Surya Namaskar’ mandatory in schools. Prominent Muslim groups had asked Nitish Kumar government to make changes in the notice issued and add the provisions of "optional or voluntary" so that the minority students could stay away from the programme.
Later, the Bihar government adhered to the demand of the Muslim groups and changed the provision in the circular.
Earlier, around 50 lakh students across Madhya Pradesh on January 12 took part in ‘Surya Namaskar’ ignoring Opposition protests and fatwa by Muslim clerics even as Congress leader Digvijay Singh saw nothing wrong in the yogic exercise and said it should not be equated with religion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside