Two crore children create Surya Namaskar record
Patna: `Surya Namaskar` programmes were organised on Monday across the country on the occasion of Swami Vivekananda`s 150th birth anniversary.
Report suggests that around 2 crore school students performed `Surya Namaskar’ across different states.
The School Education Department and NGOs in many states had made elaborate arrangements for ensuring grand presence in the event.
In Bihar, a controversy had erupted over making `Surya Namaskar’ mandatory in schools. Prominent Muslim groups had asked Nitish Kumar government to make changes in the notice issued and add the provisions of "optional or voluntary" so that the minority students could stay away from the programme.
Later, the Bihar government adhered to the demand of the Muslim groups and changed the provision in the circular.
Earlier, around 50 lakh students across Madhya Pradesh on January 12 took part in ‘Surya Namaskar’ ignoring Opposition protests and fatwa by Muslim clerics even as Congress leader Digvijay Singh saw nothing wrong in the yogic exercise and said it should not be equated with religion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology