Two prisoners who attacked Sarabjit booked
Islamabad: A case of attempt to murder has been registered against the two prisoners who viciously attacked Indian death row prisoner Sarabjit Singh in Lahore`s Kot Lakhpat jail, a media report said.
A case of attempt to murder has been registered against main accused Aamir and Mudassar, reported the News International.
Sarabjit suffered critical head injuries in the assault Friday.
The assault on Sarabjit comes a few months after the death of Indian prisoner Chamel Singh in the same Kot Lakhpat jail after he was allegedly assaulted by jail staff.
The First Information Report (FIR) says that the two prisoners attacked Sarabjit Singh soon after the gate of Barrack No.7 was opened.
The media report said Sarabjit was in jail for the last 21 years, Mudassar since 2005 and Amir since 2009.
A source in the Punjab Prisons Department told The News that Sarabjit was lodged in Block No.7 and he was taken out in the fenced courtyard at around 5 p.m. for a walk.
It was then that two other prisoners locked up in Block No.7-A and 7-B attacked Singh with a sharp-edged weapon.
The source said it was not yet clear how and from where did the attackers bring the weapon. He added the courtyard was also fenced and it was difficult to attack somebody there.
Sarabjit Singh has been on a death row in Pakistan since 1990 after being convicted by Pakistani courts for bomb blasts in Lahore and Multan cities which left 14 people dead.
Sarabjit`s family in India claims that he had inadvertently crossed into Pakistan in August 1990 in an inebriated state and was arrested there.
But police in Pakistan claimed Sarabjit Singh, who is known as Manjit Singh in India, was involved in acts of terrorism.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state