`Unemployment declined in all communities except urban Sikhs`
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday said unemployment rates have declined in all religious communities except urban Sikhs.
This was informed by Union Labour and Employment minister Sis Ram Ola in a written response to a question in Lok Sabha.
As per the National Sample Survey (NSS) data shared by Ola, the unemployment rate in Sikh community in rural areas was 3.5 per cent in 2004-05, which dropped to 2.4 in 2009-10. However, in urban areas, the unemployment rate was 4.6 per cent in 2004-05, which increased to 6.1 per cent in 2009-10.
"Unemployment rates have declined in all religious communities except urban Sikhs," the minister said.
As per the data, unemployment rate for Hindus in rural areas was 1.5 per cent in 2004-05, which remained the same in 2009-10. In urban areas, the percentage dipped from 4.4 in 2004-05 to 3.4 per cent in 2009-10.
For rural Muslims, the unemployment rate in 2004-05 was 2.3 per cent and 1.9 per cent in 2009-10. For urban Muslims, it dropped from 4.1 to 3.2 per cent during this period.
The unemployment rate for rural Christians dropped from 4.4 per cent in 2004-05 to 3.9 per cent in 2009-10. It dipped from 8.6 to 2.9 per cent for Christians in urban areas during the same period.
Over all the unemployment rate in rural India was 1.6 in 2004-05 and remained the same in 2009-10. For urban India, the unemployment rate dipped from 4.5 per cent to 3.4 per cent.
In response to another question in Lok Sabha, minister of state in the Labour ministry Kodikunnil Suresh said 1.56 crore women, all of whom may not be necessarily unemployed, were registered with employment exchanges on December 31, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!