`Unemployment declined in all communities except urban Sikhs`
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday said unemployment rates have declined in all religious communities except urban Sikhs.
This was informed by Union Labour and Employment minister Sis Ram Ola in a written response to a question in Lok Sabha.
As per the National Sample Survey (NSS) data shared by Ola, the unemployment rate in Sikh community in rural areas was 3.5 per cent in 2004-05, which dropped to 2.4 in 2009-10. However, in urban areas, the unemployment rate was 4.6 per cent in 2004-05, which increased to 6.1 per cent in 2009-10.
"Unemployment rates have declined in all religious communities except urban Sikhs," the minister said.
As per the data, unemployment rate for Hindus in rural areas was 1.5 per cent in 2004-05, which remained the same in 2009-10. In urban areas, the percentage dipped from 4.4 in 2004-05 to 3.4 per cent in 2009-10.
For rural Muslims, the unemployment rate in 2004-05 was 2.3 per cent and 1.9 per cent in 2009-10. For urban Muslims, it dropped from 4.1 to 3.2 per cent during this period.
The unemployment rate for rural Christians dropped from 4.4 per cent in 2004-05 to 3.9 per cent in 2009-10. It dipped from 8.6 to 2.9 per cent for Christians in urban areas during the same period.
Over all the unemployment rate in rural India was 1.6 in 2004-05 and remained the same in 2009-10. For urban India, the unemployment rate dipped from 4.5 per cent to 3.4 per cent.
In response to another question in Lok Sabha, minister of state in the Labour ministry Kodikunnil Suresh said 1.56 crore women, all of whom may not be necessarily unemployed, were registered with employment exchanges on December 31, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'