`Unjust to accept charges against BJP Prez without probe`
New Delhi: Amid allegations of dubious funding of Nitin Gadkari`s companies, Leaders of Opposition in both Houses Sushma Swaraj and Arun Jaitley on Wednesday stood by the BJP president and said it is unfair to accept these charges without a probe for which he has already offered himself.
"It is unjust and unfair to accept these allegations as true without a probe. We the members of BJP trust our President and stand firmly behind him," Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj posted on micro-blogging site Twitter.
Gadkari had earlier stated that he is ready for any investigation into the antecedents of his Purti Sugar and Power Limited. It has been alleged that the shareholding companies of his firm are untraceable and that his driver and other employees are directors of the group.
"In this season of allegations, some allegations have been levelled against our National President as well. Nitin Gadkari has categorically stated that there is no wrongdoing and has offered himself for a probe," Swaraj said.
Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley reiterated what he had said yesterday at a press conference in Shimla. "Our party president has already taken correct steps to express his readiness to face a probe by any agency," Jaitley said.
BJP veteran L K Advani had earlier today congratulated Gadkari for voluntarily asking for an inquiry but also maintained that the party should not claim immunity on either the scale or nature of the allegations against its president.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends