UPA committed to food security bill: PM
New Delhi: Notwithstanding government`s failure to get the ambitious Food Security Bill passed in the Budget session, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today said UPA is committed to make this law after considering "all opinions."
"The National Food Security Bill is a very important legislation for the government. UPA is committed to make this law after considering all opinions," he told reporters inside Parliament House after Parliament was adjourned sine die.
Singh was asked about the fate of the bill following the end of the Budget session and whether an ordinance could be brought in this regard.
Asked whether government could bring an ordinance to implement the food security law, Food Minister K V Thomas said he has to "look into various angles" before taking a call.
"I am neither ruling in nor ruling out. I have not thought of that. I have to study all these things. There are so many options," he said outside the Parliament House.
But at the same time Thomas agreed that food security cannot be made a legal right through a government or executive notification, therefore, ordinance could not be an option.
The Food Bill aims at giving legal right over a uniform quantity of 5 kg foodgrains at a fixed price of Rs 1-3 per kg via ration shops to 67 per cent of the population.
The amendments to the Food Bill, which was originally introduced in Parliament in December 2011, was moved in the Lok Sabha last week, but discussion could not take place due to disruption of proceedings on several issues, including coalgate scam.
The government had made three attempts in the Lok Sabha last week to get the bill passed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!