Upset Bitta to `seek permission` from Sonia for self-immolation
New Delhi: Upset over Supreme Court commuting the death sentence of Khalistani terrorist Devinderpal Singh Bhullar, former Youth Congress chief MS Bitta on Monday said that he would seek permission from party president Sonia Gandhi and the court to commit self-immolation.
The All-India-Anti-Terrorist Front (AIATF) chief, who was targeted of the 1993 bomb blast for which Bhullar was handed death sentence, said the verdict was a defeat of people fighting against terrorism.
"After apex court ruling, I don`t want to live any more as we have been today defeated by `political terrorism` which exists in the Congress Party."
"I will ask Sonia Gandhi to allow me to immolate myself as terrorism has won today and people, who are fighting against terrorism have been defeated," he said.
Bitta also said that he would also seek permission for self-immolation from the court.
Asked whether he would file a review petition in the Supreme Court court, he replied in the negative.
He, however, said he would move court on why his security had been withdrawn two days before the attack on him in 1993 and would also raise the issue as to why "Rajeev Gandhi`s security had been withdrawn".
Bhullar was initially awarded the death penalty for triggering a bomb blast in New Delhi on September 1993, in which nine persons were killed and 25 others injured, including Bitta, who was the then Youth Congress president.
The Supreme Court today commuted his the death sentence to life term on the ground of delay in deciding his mercy plea and his medical condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now