US can`t be judgemental, should give Modi visa: Former Ambassador Blackwill
Ahmedabad: Former US Ambassador to India Robert Blackwill, who met Narendra Modi in the state capital on Saturday, said the US should grant visa to the Gujarat Chief Minister.
"He (Modi) is a prominent political thinker in India. And, I don`t believe United States is in a position, thousands of miles away, to have a magisterial opinion about what happens here in India....That`s upto the Indians...," Blackwill said when asked by the reporters about US`s denial of visa to Modi.
"So, my own view is that he should be issued a visa, if and when he wishes to visit United States...," Blackwill, who served as US ambassador in the country during 2001-03, said.
Blackwill is now a senior fellow of US Council on Foreign Relations and a lobbyist.
In 2005, the US denied Modi a diplomatic visa and revoked his existing tourist/business visa under the Immigration and Nationality Act, which makes a foreign government official who is responsible for particularly severe violations of religious freedom ineligible for an American visa.
The denial was for Modi`s alleged role in the the 2002 riots.
Blackwill today had a 45-minute one-to-one discussion with Modi.
He is leading a US trade delegation, which also met the Chief Minister and held discussion about expanding the scope of American companies` economic-industrial partnership and investment in Gujarat, a press statement issued by the Gujarat government`s information department said.
Blackwill, who has been invited to participate in the Vibrant Gujarat Agro High-tech Global Summit on September 9-10, expressed US`s keenness to take part in the Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors` Summit-2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you