US can`t be judgemental, should give Modi visa: Former Ambassador Blackwill
Ahmedabad: Former US Ambassador to India Robert Blackwill, who met Narendra Modi in the state capital on Saturday, said the US should grant visa to the Gujarat Chief Minister.
"He (Modi) is a prominent political thinker in India. And, I don`t believe United States is in a position, thousands of miles away, to have a magisterial opinion about what happens here in India....That`s upto the Indians...," Blackwill said when asked by the reporters about US`s denial of visa to Modi.
"So, my own view is that he should be issued a visa, if and when he wishes to visit United States...," Blackwill, who served as US ambassador in the country during 2001-03, said.
Blackwill is now a senior fellow of US Council on Foreign Relations and a lobbyist.
In 2005, the US denied Modi a diplomatic visa and revoked his existing tourist/business visa under the Immigration and Nationality Act, which makes a foreign government official who is responsible for particularly severe violations of religious freedom ineligible for an American visa.
The denial was for Modi`s alleged role in the the 2002 riots.
Blackwill today had a 45-minute one-to-one discussion with Modi.
He is leading a US trade delegation, which also met the Chief Minister and held discussion about expanding the scope of American companies` economic-industrial partnership and investment in Gujarat, a press statement issued by the Gujarat government`s information department said.
Blackwill, who has been invited to participate in the Vibrant Gujarat Agro High-tech Global Summit on September 9-10, expressed US`s keenness to take part in the Vibrant Gujarat Global Investors` Summit-2015.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?