US has no plans to change India aid model
Washington: The US has no immediate plans to change its aid pattern to India following the British example even as it tries in general to move from aid to trade, according to a senior US official.
"We`re constantly, particularly in tough budget times, looking at ensuring that our assistance dollars are spent as well as we possibly can," State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland told reporters Friday when asked about British plans to halt all its aid to India from 2015.
"You know that we`ve been talking in general about trying to move, in as many countries as we can, from aid to trade, empowering individuals," she said when asked if the US planned to follow the British example in regard to an emerging India.
"But most of our programmes are directed already along that vector, supporting all of the kinds of things that we do in India, including the strengthening and deepening of the nongovernmental sector, the health and human security issues," Nuland said.
"But I don`t see - I don`t have any change in our India assistance to announce today, but obviously in every budget cycle, we look at all the priorities across the planet, and we have to make tough decisions in consultations with those governments in terms of what`s effective," she added.
Foreign aid formed "less than 1 percent" of the US budget, Nuland said in response to a question.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?