US safest place for Indian students, no racism: Diplomat
Coimbatore: Being a diverse country, the United States is the safest place for students, particularly from India, and there is no need for any fear about racism, a senior US diplomat on Wednesday said.
People should not give ears or express concern over one or two very isolated incidents and conclude that students are being discriminated in US, Nelson Wu, Consular Manager in the US Consultate, Chennai, told reporters when asked about apprehension by the student community over racism.
"Actually, the universities in US are encouraging diversity and celebrating it across the nation. There is no need for any apprehension for Indian students on the issue of racism," he said.
Nelson Wu, part of three-member consular information unit to conduct student outreach event for `grade 10 and 11` of the Camford International School here, said as far as safety was concerned, it was the safest place for the Indian students and there should not be any concern about that aspect.
To prove his point, he said at any given time over one lakh students from India are studying in the US, which is more than any country, next to China.
Earlier, he detailed the higher educational opportunities for the students and shared profiles of universities, schools and colleges, besides throwing light on process of obtaining students` visa to that country.
Harvey Beasley and James S Manlowe, Vice-Consuls, said though the study in the US can provide amazing experience and skills to the aspiring student, they cannot guarantee jobs in India on the US degrees. However, the students can get jobs in US, if they continue to stay there, they said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents