Vaiko asks PM not to support Sri Lanka at UNHRC
Chennai: MDMK chief Vaiko on Tuesday termed as shocking a Sri Lankan official`s claim about New Delhi`s backing of Colombo in the ongoing UNHRC session and urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh not to support it.
"It is shocking that Mahinda Samarasinghe, the chief Lankan negotiator, has stated that India will support Sri Lanka in the crucial voting at the ongoing session of the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) at Geneva," Vaiko said in a letter to Singh.
Samrasinghe, who is leading the Lankan delegation at the UNHRC, had earlier claimed that Sri Lanka has received India`s full backing against the US sponsored motion on alleged human rights abuses by its army during the war against LTTE.
Vaiko said India`s envoy to Sri Lanka had also reportedly assured President Mahinda Rajapakse of New Delhi`s support.
"If it is true, that will be the ever unpardonable betrayal by the Indian Government against the Tamils of Sri Lanka.
"I would request you that the Indian government should not support the racist Sri Lankan Government in the UNHRC in Geneva," Vaiko, who has been consistently charging the Congress-led UPA with aiding Colombo militarily in its fight against LTTE, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa