Vasan meets PM, presses for boycott of CHOGM Summit
New Delhi: Union Shipping Minister G K Vasan on Thursday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and urged him that India should boycott the Commonwealth Heads of Government (CHOGM) summit in Sri Lanka keeping in mind the sentiments of Tamil Nadu parties.
"India has not taken any final decision on the Commonwealth summit," he told reporters after meeting the Prime Minister, adding "it would be announced at an appropriate time".
Vasan said he met the Prime Minister to apprise him of the view of the people in Tamil Nadu and the unanimous resolution adopted by the state assembly demanding that India "completely" boycott CHOGM in Sri Lanka next month.
The Union Minister said that the Prime Minister gave him a patient hearing. "The Prime Minister informed that he would act keeping the sentiments of people of Tamil Nadu in mind over Sri Lanka. He had assured to take a good decision," he stated.
Vasan said he had also highlighted the problems faced by fishermen. "The Prime Minister expressed his concern on the fishermen`s problems. The Centre is working towards creating an environment to resolve the issue soon," he said.
Questioned about reports that the Congress core group has requested Prime Minister to attend the Commonwealth summit, he said, only "the official decision could be the final decision". The Government would spell out its stand officially, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video