Vice President Hamid Ansari arrives in Peru
Lima: Seeking to take India`s ties with resource-rich Latin American countries to a higher plane, Vice President Hamid Ansari arrived in Peru on Sunday on the first leg of his two-nation tour in the region.
Ansari`s visit is the first by an Indian Vice President to Peru, with communist Cuba as his next stop.
Several agreements including one on setting up of a joint commission and another in the area of culture are expected to be signed during the three-day visit to Peru. The two sides will also hold talks on finalising a bilateral promotion and protection agreement.
Another highlight of the visit will be launching of INCHAM (Indian Chambers of Commerce), an organisation that will help greater facilitation for Indian trade and industry to do business in Latin America, especially Peru.
India is seeking greater trade and investment with the country which is rich in minerals and hydrocarbons. Bilateral trade between India and Peru in 2012 was USD 1.16 billion.
The Indian move has come at a time when Peru`s trade with China has grown significantly and China is one of the most important markets for Peruvian exports. Beijing has emerged as a very large trading partner and investor for Lima.
Peru is the world`s largest producer of silver, second-largest producer of copper and zinc and fifth largest producer of gold. It has an estimated 15 TCF (Trillion Cubic Feet) of recoverable gas reserves.
Ansari`s visit coincides with the celebrations of the 50th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between India and Peru.
To mark the occasion, Ansari inaugurated the Festival of India at which his Peruvian counterpart Marisol Espinoza Cruz was also present. The festival, which will run till October 31, is also being held in Cuba, the next stop of the Vice President.
India-Peru relations have traditionally been cordial and friendly and Lima is also a member of NAM and G-77. Both countries are expected to discuss a free trade agreement soon.
During his visit, Ansari will also meet Peru`s foreign minister and its foreign trade and tourism minister. He will also call on Peruvian President Ollanta Humala.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'