VVIP chopper deal: Rajya Sabha passes motion for JPC probe
New Delhi: The Rajya Sabha on Wednesday passed a motion to constitute a Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) to probe the VVIP chopper deal scam.
The setting up of the 30-member JPC was decided after a motion was moved by Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath and was passed by the Upper House.
Kamal Nath said the JPC would submit its report within three months of its first sitting and rejected the Opposition contention that the decision would amount to putting the issue on the backburner.
Nath, who had informed Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj this morning about the government`s intent to order JPC probe, attacked the Opposition for walking out, saying they were "running away".
BJP, which had stalled the entire Winter Session of 2010 by persistently demanding a JPC probe into the 2-G scam, walked out of the House against the motion, indicating that the party will refuse to be part of the committee.
Leader of Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley said formation of JPC "was an exercise in futility" and "diversionary tactic".
JD(U), TMC, AGP, TDP and CPI members also walked out of the Rajya Sabha as soon as the motion was moved.
Earlier, the House saw an animated debate during which the opposition accused the government of inaction for over a year into the Rs 3,600 crore deal for 12 helicopters with AgustaWestland which has got into a controversy after charges that kickbacks were paid to the tune of Rs 362 crore.
Replying to the debate, Defence Minister AK Antony asserted that the government had nothing to hide and there would be no "cover up". He said the government is determined to go to the "root of the scam".
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : Dr. Subhash Chandra Show on tips for successful life
- Solar Impulse 2 lands in Spain, completes world's first Atlantic flight
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- Brexit 'wake-up call for Europe', says Austrian President Heinz Fischer
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death