Will DMK pull out of the UPA government?
New Delhi: Trouble seems to be mounting for the Congress-led UPA government as far as its ally the DMK is concerned, who is adamant on its stand on the resolution against Sri Lanka in United Nations Human Rights Council.
The DMK which has 18 MPs in the Lok Sabha has threatened to pull out its ministers from the Centre and could consider supporting the UPA government from outside, as the three Union Ministers who had met Karunanidhi failed to placate him on the exact wording of the resolution.
The survival of the UPA government is dependent on the support of the DMK especially after Congress’ other ally the Trinamool Congress pulled out from the Centre on the issue of FDI in multi-brand retail. The Congress is also heavily dependent on Samajwadi Party and the BSP who are giving outside support to the UPA government.
The vote on a resolution on alleged human rights violations by Sri Lanka in the UNHRC is slated for next week. Karunanidhi and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa want India to vote in favour of the resolution and that words `Eelam` and `genocide` in the US-sponsored resolution be included. They also want an international probe into the matter.
Union Ministers P Chidambaram, A K Antony and Ghulam Nabi Azad on Monday failed to persuade DML chief Karunanidhi to change his stand on withdrawing support to the ruling UPA if it failed to move amendments to the US-sponsored resolution on the Sri Lankan Tamil issue at the UNHRC.
Reports said that the three central ministers met the DMK chief in Chennai and discussed the contents of his letter written to the Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh.
Speaking to reporters, Ghulam Azad said, “Have discussed the contents of the letter Karunanidhi had written to PM and some amendments. We wil convey his suggestions to the Prime Minister.”
The trio assured the DMK chief that the UPA government will not compromise with the interests of the Sri Lankan Tamils at any cost.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray