Will fast at MMRDA with donation money: Anna
Mumbai: In an extraordinary move, Team Anna will pay the rent imposed by the authorities for using the MMRDA ground through people’s donations.
Anna Hazare said on Friday that many people have approached him for donating money for the protest.
“I am told that the MMRDA will give us some concessions and we are also getting donors to cover that cost. So, I have given the green signal for the venue, Hazare told mediapersons.
Meanwhile, Bombay High Court today said that it cannot compel the MMRDA authorities to waive off the rent.
India Against Corruption (IAC) had filed a petition in High Court asking for a waiver be announced considering the fact that the ground is not being rented out for any ‘commercial’ purpose.
Welcoming Bombay High Court’s order, anti-corruption crusader Anna Hazare said that he respects court’s order.
“The decision by my activists was not correct. They are inexperienced and have committed a mistake. But now they have learnt a lesson,” Anna said.
His reactions came soon after the High Court disposed of a petition by his team members challenging the high commercial rates -- around Rs 19,00,000, including deposit -- demanded by the MMRDA (Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority) for renting out the ground.
Anna Hazare plans to sit on a fast from Dec 27-29 in Mumbai, while the Parliament in Delhi debates the Lokpal Bill. In the eventuality of the bill not getting passed, Anna would head to Delhi and launch a ‘Jail Bharo Andolan`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player