Will fulfill any responsibility given to me by party: Narendra Modi
New Delhi: Amid chants of Narendra Modi for PM, the Gujarat Chief Minister, fresh from poll victory, got a rousing welcome at the BJP headquarters here on Thursday by a sizable crowd of party workers and supporters.
In the national capital to attend the National Development Council meeting, Modi was felicitated by party president Nitin Gadkari at the BJP headquarters. The crowd, consisting mostly of party workers from Delhi and Haryana, made it clear that Modi is their hero, forcing Gadkari into the shadows.
Modi said in his thanksgiving speech that he had never thought he would ever be welcomed in the party office with such warmth and respect.
"There is a special reason for this. I have spent some very important years of my life at the party headquarters- 11, Ashoka Road- in a small kholi (room)," Modi said, recounting his days as one of the less significant workers of the party.
Old timers pointed out that it was after several years that such an enthusiastic crowd, estimated to be around 1,500, gathered at the party headquarters.
The workers shouted "PM, PM" when he rendered his speech.
Modi himself did little to camouflage his ambitions, saying he will work hard to shoulder any responsibility that the party gives him.
"As a BJP worker, whatever responsibility is given to me by the party I will fulfill them. In the past, whatever responsibilities have been given to me, I have shouldered them with full dedication."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- Madrasas that do not teach primary subjects to be considered 'non-schools', says Maharashtra govt
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by 'VIPs' Rijiju, Fadnavis
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding