Will go to jail if signatures on letter to Obama are forged: Md Adeeb
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In a new twist to the controversy, senior CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury on Wednesday denied having signed any letter seeking denial of US visa for Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Yechury`s denial has left Mohammed Adeeb, Independent MP from Rajya Sabha, fuming.
Mohammed Adeeb had taken the initiative for this campaign in which 65 Members of Parliament had written letters to US President Barack Obama, urging the US Administration to maintain the current policy of denying visa to Modi.
Expressing shock at Yechury`s denial, Mohammed Adeeb said he would welcome a probe into the whole matter.
He added that he would resign from the Rajya Sabha and go to jail if signatures on letter to Obama are found to be forged.
He also advised Yechury to refresh his memory, saying the senior CPI(M) leader signed the letter "in front of Rajya Sabha with his own pen".
The controversy intensified with several lawmakers, besides Yechury, now claiming that their signatures were forged.
Another MP KP Ramalingam of DMK has also denied signing any letter to US President Barack Obama. Sanjay Naik of the Nationalist Congress Party has said he is, by mistake, listed as a Rajya Sabha member.
Copies of the letters were provided by the Indian American Muslim Council (IAMC) as BJP chief Rajnath Singh, reached Washington to meet US lawmakers, think tanks and US government officials during which he said he will urge the Americans to lift the ban on visa for Modi.
The US administration had imposed the visa ban on Modi after the 2002 post-Godhra riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees