Will go to jail if signatures on letter to Obama are forged: Md Adeeb
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In a new twist to the controversy, senior CPI(M) leader Sitaram Yechury on Wednesday denied having signed any letter seeking denial of US visa for Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Yechury`s denial has left Mohammed Adeeb, Independent MP from Rajya Sabha, fuming.
Mohammed Adeeb had taken the initiative for this campaign in which 65 Members of Parliament had written letters to US President Barack Obama, urging the US Administration to maintain the current policy of denying visa to Modi.
Expressing shock at Yechury`s denial, Mohammed Adeeb said he would welcome a probe into the whole matter.
He added that he would resign from the Rajya Sabha and go to jail if signatures on letter to Obama are found to be forged.
He also advised Yechury to refresh his memory, saying the senior CPI(M) leader signed the letter "in front of Rajya Sabha with his own pen".
The controversy intensified with several lawmakers, besides Yechury, now claiming that their signatures were forged.
Another MP KP Ramalingam of DMK has also denied signing any letter to US President Barack Obama. Sanjay Naik of the Nationalist Congress Party has said he is, by mistake, listed as a Rajya Sabha member.
Copies of the letters were provided by the Indian American Muslim Council (IAMC) as BJP chief Rajnath Singh, reached Washington to meet US lawmakers, think tanks and US government officials during which he said he will urge the Americans to lift the ban on visa for Modi.
The US administration had imposed the visa ban on Modi after the 2002 post-Godhra riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city