Will see mercy file of Guru after Parl session: HM
New Delhi: Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde will see files pertaining to mercy petitions of Parliament attack case convict Afzal Guru and six others in death row after the ongoing Winter Session of Parliament.
"It is not only (that of) Afzal Guru. I have seven files (of mercy pleas) to see. I will see the files after Parliament Session," he told reporters here on the sidelines of a function today.
The Winter Session of the Parliament will conclude on December 20.
Guru`s mercy petition was sent back by President Pranab Mukherjee to the Ministry of Home Affairs for review. He was sentenced to death for the 2001 Parliament attack in which nine people, including security force personnel, were killed and 16 were injured.
Addressing personnel of Border Security Force (BSF) on its 47th Raising Day function, Shinde praised the high standards of training in the force and said the government will ensure all possible help to further improve the skills and bring in technological advancements.
"I am aware of the fact that BSF personnel work in extremely difficult conditions and away from their families. The personnel deployed in anti-terrorist, anti-Naxal, disaster management, border management operations and United National Peace Keeping Missions. We have seen good results from all the fronts.
"I hope that BSF will further improve its techniques and skills to save the country and secure its border. The safety and security of country`s border is very important and BSF personnel are doing their job in the best way," Shinde said.
The ceremonial parade on the occasion of force`s 47th raising day had to be postponed from December 1 to today following the demise of former Prime Minister I K Gujral on November 30.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Two ISIS operatives, planning to target religious places, arrested by Gujarat ATS