Women safety: Govt invites tech solutions
New Delhi: In its efforts to provide security to women and elderly, the government has invited suggestions on innovative technologies and ideas from people and institutions which can be used by police.
The Home Ministry has floated an `expression of interest` inviting firms manufacturing security devices and institutions like IITs and engineering colleges to present to it innovative ideas and technology "that can go a long way in ensuring safety" to women and other vulnerable sections of society.
The move comes in the backdrop of last year`s gang-rape of a young girl in Delhi which led to nationwide outrage over government`s failure to provide security to women.
Sources said the Ministry is not only looking for smart gadgets and devices that can come handy for women and elderly in distress but it was also expecting some out-of-the-box solutions and innovative applications that can be embedded in the mobile phones of the person in trouble.
"The issues of safety of women and other vulnerable sections of society are engaging the attention of the police and agencies concerned in and outside the government. It is being increasingly felt that there is need for innovative ideas to tackle these issues and that effective use of technology can go a long way in ensuring safety," the EoI said.
The proposal has asked technology solution providers and technology institutes to submit their proposals by November 28 to the ministry`s Police Modernisation division.
A committee in the Ministry of Home Affairs will then shortlist the technology solutions and after due procedures are done the products will be procured for adoption and implementation by appropriate stakeholders like police department, hospitals and public transport systems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested