Would like to see Pranab challenged: Swamy
New Delhi: Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy on Saturday praised West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for naming former president A P J Abdul Kalam as a presidential candidate and said he would like to see United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pranab Mukherjee being challenged.
"We respect Mamata and salute her. She has shown guts and grown in national stature. I personally would like to see that Pranab is challenged," Swamy said.
He said the crude methods which UPA chiarperson Sonia Gandhi had used to bring people on board needed to be exposed.
The UPA on Friday announced Pranab Mukherjee as its presidential candidate. The Congress is trying to build a consensus on Mukherjee`s name for the post.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) core group is meeting on Saturday to discuss the party`s candidate for the top constitutional slot, while the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) is expected to meet on Sunday.
The presidential election will be held on July 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from Kashmir's Anantnag after 49 days, remains in force in other parts
- PM Modi, Amit Shah to address CMs of BJP-ruled states
- South Africa vs New Zealand - 2nd Test, Day 1 - Live cricket score, live streaming
- India, Pak should continue dialogue to address concerns: US
- Virtual peer pressure can also spark competition