Would like to see Pranab challenged: Swamy
New Delhi: Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy on Saturday praised West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for naming former president A P J Abdul Kalam as a presidential candidate and said he would like to see United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pranab Mukherjee being challenged.
"We respect Mamata and salute her. She has shown guts and grown in national stature. I personally would like to see that Pranab is challenged," Swamy said.
He said the crude methods which UPA chiarperson Sonia Gandhi had used to bring people on board needed to be exposed.
The UPA on Friday announced Pranab Mukherjee as its presidential candidate. The Congress is trying to build a consensus on Mukherjee`s name for the post.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) core group is meeting on Saturday to discuss the party`s candidate for the top constitutional slot, while the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) is expected to meet on Sunday.
The presidential election will be held on July 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read