Would like to see Pranab challenged: Swamy
New Delhi: Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy on Saturday praised West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for naming former president A P J Abdul Kalam as a presidential candidate and said he would like to see United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pranab Mukherjee being challenged.
"We respect Mamata and salute her. She has shown guts and grown in national stature. I personally would like to see that Pranab is challenged," Swamy said.
He said the crude methods which UPA chiarperson Sonia Gandhi had used to bring people on board needed to be exposed.
The UPA on Friday announced Pranab Mukherjee as its presidential candidate. The Congress is trying to build a consensus on Mukherjee`s name for the post.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) core group is meeting on Saturday to discuss the party`s candidate for the top constitutional slot, while the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) is expected to meet on Sunday.
The presidential election will be held on July 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends