Would like to see Pranab challenged: Swamy
New Delhi: Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy on Saturday praised West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for naming former president A P J Abdul Kalam as a presidential candidate and said he would like to see United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pranab Mukherjee being challenged.
"We respect Mamata and salute her. She has shown guts and grown in national stature. I personally would like to see that Pranab is challenged," Swamy said.
He said the crude methods which UPA chiarperson Sonia Gandhi had used to bring people on board needed to be exposed.
The UPA on Friday announced Pranab Mukherjee as its presidential candidate. The Congress is trying to build a consensus on Mukherjee`s name for the post.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) core group is meeting on Saturday to discuss the party`s candidate for the top constitutional slot, while the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) is expected to meet on Sunday.
The presidential election will be held on July 19.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living