Would like to see Pranab challenged: Swamy
New Delhi: Janata Party chief Subramanian Swamy on Saturday praised West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee for naming former president A P J Abdul Kalam as a presidential candidate and said he would like to see United Progressive Alliance (UPA) candidate Pranab Mukherjee being challenged.
"We respect Mamata and salute her. She has shown guts and grown in national stature. I personally would like to see that Pranab is challenged," Swamy said.
He said the crude methods which UPA chiarperson Sonia Gandhi had used to bring people on board needed to be exposed.
The UPA on Friday announced Pranab Mukherjee as its presidential candidate. The Congress is trying to build a consensus on Mukherjee`s name for the post.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) core group is meeting on Saturday to discuss the party`s candidate for the top constitutional slot, while the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) is expected to meet on Sunday.
The presidential election will be held on July 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth