Yechury supports calling Raja as witness before JPC
New Delhi: CPM member in the Joint Parliamentary Committee (JPC) on 2G spectrum allocation Sitaram Yechury on Wednesday supported calling former Telecom Minister A Raja as a witness before the panel saying it will help reaching "closer to the truth".
"We have no objection if he comes. The more witnesses the merrier. More closure to the truth we can get," he told reporters outside Parliament House.
On Friday last, Raja had written to Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar and JPC Chairman P C Chacko expressing his willingness to appear before the committee as a witness. He has claimed that he has been "condemned unheared" and wants to present his side of the story.
Chacko has said that he is yet to take a decision on calling Raja before the committee and would consult members individually.
DMK members in JPC T R Baalu and T Siva have been pressing Chacko to call Raja as a witness.
Chacko is apparently against calling Raja as a witness. He has told members that as an accused Raja has legal protection and cannot make fresh revelations before any committee. Therefore, there was no point in calling Raja.
Congress members in the JPC are against calling Raja as a witness as his deposition could be used by opposition members, including BJP and the Left, in cornering the government. Raja has maintained that he had kept the Prime Minister`s Office and others informed about his decisions on 2G licencing issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them