90% of terrorism conducted through social media
Washington: About 90 percent of organized terrorism on the Internet is being carried out through the social media, an expert has suggested.
According to University of Haifa Profesoor Gabriel Weimann, terror networks are successfully utilizing the social media especially Facebook and Twitter to hire new members and gather new intelligence.
“The social media is enabling the terror organizations to take initiatives by making ‘Friend’ requests, uploading video clips, and the like, and they no longer have to make do with the passive tools available on regular websites,” he said.
His statement comes amid reports that Hezbollah is tracking the Israeli Army’s Facebook activity, and countries like the USA, Canada and the UK have instructed their soldiers to remove personal information from this network to restrain the possible monitoring by Al Qaeda.
“The most advanced of western communication technology is, paradoxically, what the terror organizations are now using to fight the West,” Weimann concluded.
Weimann has been conducting a study of encoded and public Internet sites of international terror organizations for the past ten years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video