90% of terrorism conducted through social media
Washington: About 90 percent of organized terrorism on the Internet is being carried out through the social media, an expert has suggested.
According to University of Haifa Profesoor Gabriel Weimann, terror networks are successfully utilizing the social media especially Facebook and Twitter to hire new members and gather new intelligence.
“The social media is enabling the terror organizations to take initiatives by making ‘Friend’ requests, uploading video clips, and the like, and they no longer have to make do with the passive tools available on regular websites,” he said.
His statement comes amid reports that Hezbollah is tracking the Israeli Army’s Facebook activity, and countries like the USA, Canada and the UK have instructed their soldiers to remove personal information from this network to restrain the possible monitoring by Al Qaeda.
“The most advanced of western communication technology is, paradoxically, what the terror organizations are now using to fight the West,” Weimann concluded.
Weimann has been conducting a study of encoded and public Internet sites of international terror organizations for the past ten years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why