Anonymous calls for Internet blackout on April 22
London: Hacking collective Anonymous has called for an Internet blackout in protest of a bill, Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA), which if signed into law, would make it legal for websites to give personal information to the US government without the user`s permission.
Anonymous has called for an Internet protest on Monday, April 22, to protest the "illogical and terrorizing bill", an English daily reported.
The plan doesn`t involve shutting down or attacking the Internet in any way, it just wants all websites to go dark in protest for 24 hours on Monday. It is not yet known which websites will participate in this blackout.
This will not be the first Internet blackout in protest of a government bill. On January 18, 2012, more than 7,000 websites, including Wikipedia, Reddit and Google, protested SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (Protect IP Act), which were accused of similar breaches on online privacy. Two days later, the bill was shelved indefinitely.
President Barack Obama has threatened to veto CISPA for failing to adequately address privacy concerns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof