Arctic to have high-speed broadband internet by 2020
Washington: The Arctic is reportedly expected to have high-speed broadband internet, as shipping, fishing and oil companies move north amid warming temperatures and melting ice.
According to Fox News, The Norwegian Space Center has teamed up with Telenor Satellite Broadcasting to assess the feasibility of a new satellite system which would cover the northern areas outside the reach of current geostationary communications satellites.
Space center director Bo Andersen said that there is an increasing need for broadband in the high Arctic and the proposed system could be in place in the early 2020s if it gets the necessary funding from private and public sources.
The system`s estimated cost is 330 million-650 million dollars.
Andersen further said that the geostationary satellites, which are in orbit over the equator, provide coverage up to 75 degrees north but above that latitude, the signals become too weak,and the only option is another satellite network that can only handle voice and limited data service.
Spokesman for Norwegian energy company Statoil, Ola Anders Skauby said that the new satellite solutions would be beneficial as the offshore industry moves north in search of oil and gas.
Skauby further said that the proposed system depends on a number of issues including safe operations, logistics and weather conditions, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH