Bitcoin successor Dogecoin hacked for first time
Washington: Virtual currency Dogecoin that was named after a silly meme had been reportedly hacked for the first time with users` estimated loss of 21 million Dogecoins.
The currency has been described as a potential successor to Bitcoin and the successful hack attack was confirmed by Dogewallet in their Reddit post after users reported disappearing Dogecoins on Doges.com`s forum.
According to Tech Crunch, Dogewallet has promised to fully refund all lost coins and has temporarily shut down its site.
Each Dogecoin is currently worth about 0.00057 dollars and the stolen Dogecoins are equivalent to about 12,000 dollars.
Dogewallet said that they are currently looking at logs and have found thousands of attempts to hack their systems by gaining access to Dogewallet`s filesystem and modified its send/receive page to send coins to a static address.
The company apologized to the users in its Reddit post and suggested them to use offline wallets as online wallets are meant for new users who aren`t using them as storage of coins.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'