CEO Marissa Mayer ends Yahoo’s working from home policy
Washington: The relatively new CEO of Yahoo, Marissa Mayer, has decided she wants her employees showing up to the offices from June, and not just telecommuting from home all the time.
According to All Things D`s Kara Swisher, in an internal memo, she said that `to become the absolute best place to work, communication and collaboration will be important, so we need to be working side-by-side.
The memo added that `it is critical that we are all present in our offices. Some of the best decisions and insights come from hallway and cafeteria discussions, meeting new people, and impromptu team meetings. Speed and quality are often sacrificed when we work from home,` the Huffington Post reports.
Employees expressed `strong anger` over the policy, many of whom joined the company in part because of the flexibility to work from home that Yahoo previously provided.
But don`t just assume that telecommuting, or working remotely, or whatever you want to call it, comes from a place of laziness. A number of studies have proven quite the opposite:
According to the report, a Stanford study, conveniently released on the same day as Yahoo`s memo, reported that call center employees increased their performance by 13 percent when working from home.
They also reported `improved work satisfaction and experienced less turnover`.
Another University of Texas at Austin study from late last year found that those people who work from home `add five to seven hours to their workweek compared with those who work exclusively at the office`.
A Bureau of Labor Statistics study, also from last year, reported that working remotely `seems to boost productivity, decrease absenteeism`, that means missing work, `and increase retention`.
According to the report, all in all, it appears working from home is a bit of mixed bag for employee and employer alike.
On the one hand there is enhanced productivity, more work satisfaction, less turnover, but on the other, one has to work for longer hours, more weekend obligations, less chance of impressing the boss, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015