China to have `faster, cheaper` internet by 2015
Beijing: China hopes to increase internet speed by five times and cut broadband costs by 2015, the ministry of information technology has said.
By 2015 the average broadband bandwidth will hit 20 megabytes per second (Mbps) in urban areas, almost five times the current level. In rural areas, the bandwidth will reach four Mbps, the ministry said.
The move follows widespread complaints that the country`s broadband services were "too expensive and too slow", the Shanghai Daily reported.
"China`s broadband bandwidth is relatively behind the level of many countries, and with an unreasonably high price. We aim to invest heavily to improve it by 2015," said Industry and Information Technology Minister Miao Wei.
At present, China`s broadband bandwidth is ranked No.71 in the world.
The report said the average bandwidth in the US was now 20 to 25 Mbps, five times that of China.
Regarding cost, one Mbps of bandwidth in China costs an average of $13 at present -- four times the US level and more than 400 times that of Hong Kong, says a report by Beijing-based Data Center of China Internet.
In November, the National Development and Reform Commission began a probe into China Telecom and China Unicom after suspicions that they were preventing others from entering the market and were keeping the price of broadband services "artificially high".
The two later promised to cut broadband rates and lift speeds over the next five years.
China Telecom -- the country`s No.1 broadband service provider -- promised to cut rates by 35 percent in the next five years.
By the end of November, China had 155 million family broadband users and 119 million 3G phone users, the ministry said.
China also has 11 million Internet Protocol TV users and 40 million mobile video users, who watch video content through their phones.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check Jharkhand JAC 12th Intermediate Arts Results 2015 on jac.nic.in
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today