EU regulators to move against Google over privacy laws
Paris: European data protection agencies said on Monday that they plan to take action against Internet giant Google for failing to comply with EU privacy laws.
Europe`s data protection regulators view the privacy rules, put in place in March 2012 by Google, as high risk to individuals` privacy.
Google last year consolidated 60 privacy policies into one, combining data collected on individual users across its services, including YouTube, Gmail and social network Google+. Users cannot opt out.
In October, Google was given four months by data protection agencies of 27 EU states to make changes to its privacy policies or face legal action.
"At the end of a four-month delay accorded to Google to comply with the European data protection directive and to implement effectively (our) recommendations, no answer has been given," French regulator CNIL said.
A meeting will be held next week to approve their joint action plan, said CNIL, which said it is leading the effort.
However, Google reiterated that its confidentiality policy is in line with European law.
"We have engaged fully with the CNIL throughout this process, and we`ll continue to do so going forward," it added.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch