Facebook grabs Gowalla team, but not technology
San Francisco: Facebook has hired the co-founders of Gowalla, one of the pioneering companies that developed the concept of "checking in" at real-world locations with mobile phones.
Facebook, which has its own location features built in to its online social network, will not acquire Gowalla`s technology. And Gowalla`s service will be shut down at the end of January.
"In talking with the Gowalla team, we realized that we share many of the same goals: building great products that reach millions of people, making a big impact quickly, and creating new ways for people to connect and share what`s going on in their lives," Facebook said in an emailed statement on Monday.
"While Facebook isn`t acquiring the Gowalla service or technology, we`re sure that the inspiration behind Gowalla will make its way into Facebook over time," the company said.
A Facebook spokesman declined to specify what product or service the Gowalla team would work on at Facebook, other than noting that the team would join Facebook`s design and engineering teams.
Gowalla was released the same week in 2009 as Foursquare, a rival location services startup. Both companies provided a way for people to broadcast their whereabouts to friends and others by using their mobile phones to "check-in" at real-world establishments, such as coffee shops and restaurants.
But Foursquare`s service increased its number of users faster than Gowalla, and Gowalla was never able to catch up.
Facebook, the world`s No. 1 social network with more than 800 million users, introduced its own location feature, dubbed Places, in August 2010.
In a post on the official Gowalla blog, co-founder Josh Williams said the company would provide an easy way for users to export their data, such as photos posted to the soon-to-be-shut-down service. Facebook is not acquiring Gowalla`s user data, Williams said.
Williams and Gowalla co-founder Scott Raymond will both join Facebook in January, along with other members of the Gowalla team. Facebook did not respond to an inquiry about the number of Gowalla members joining the company.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm