Google criticized for failing to relegate illegal music downloading sites
London: Record labels have accused Google of failing to fulfill a pledge to take action against websites that offer unlawful music downloads in search results.
The RIAA, a trade lobby representing major labels such as Warner and Sony, said its research showed `searches for popular music continue to yield results that emphasize illegal sites at the expense of legitimate services`.
Google pledged to take action against music piracy six months ago by taking into account how many copyright infringement notices it has received against them when it determines their ranking.
Google said at that time that sites with high numbers of removal notices might appear lower in our results, the Telegraph reports.
The RIAA claimed that Google`s changes are not working, however, and known unlawful download websites still appear in the first page of results.
According to the RIAA`s report, pirate websites such as mp3skull.com still appear more often in the top ten results for common music searches than licensed digital music retailers such as Apple and Amazon.
The organisation said Google has received more than 100,000 copyright infringement notifications against mp3skull.com, it said.
Google has yet not responded on the RIAA`s criticisms.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Know how these two Mumbai brothers turned Rs 25 thousand into Rs 9,000 crores
- Seven killed in Mogadishu beach restaurant attack: Official
- Hungary to build second fence on border with Serbia to keep out migrants
- Curfew in several areas of Kashmir ahead of planned march
- No ''tech traces'' of American University attack found: Pakistan to Afghanistan