IIT-Kanpur unveils new supercomputer
Zee Media Bureau
Kanpur: One of India`s top educational institutes, the Indian Institute Of Technology at Kanpur (IIT-K) has unveiled a new supercomputer on Tuesday.
It is the second supercomputer that has been developed by the prestigious institute. The computer has been ranked fifth in the country in terms of performance and 130th in the list of world top 500 supercomputers.
The machine was assembled by a team of engineers at the IIT-Kanpur, headed by institute`s deputy director SC Srivastava and unveiled by him along with Ashish Dutta, head of the Computer Centre.
According to Srivastava , the machine operate at a peak performance of 307.2 Terra Flops (TF) and a realised performance of about 249 TF.
They said the new machine would be used for regular education, research and training purposes.
Ashish Dutta says “Supercomputers are used in many areas of science and engineering research. The general area of research that uses supercomputers is called High Performance Computing (HPC). HPC can simulate nuclear explosions, evolution of galaxies, effects of pacemaker redesign, genetics and genetic related diseases, medical drug discovery, aircraft light, aerodynamics, etc”.
The machine has been launched after extensive research by a seasoned team and the engineers behind the project felt that this is one of the best supercomputers.
The project cost Rs 48 crore to the institute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal