IIT-Kanpur unveils new supercomputer
Zee Media Bureau
Kanpur: One of India`s top educational institutes, the Indian Institute Of Technology at Kanpur (IIT-K) has unveiled a new supercomputer on Tuesday.
It is the second supercomputer that has been developed by the prestigious institute. The computer has been ranked fifth in the country in terms of performance and 130th in the list of world top 500 supercomputers.
The machine was assembled by a team of engineers at the IIT-Kanpur, headed by institute`s deputy director SC Srivastava and unveiled by him along with Ashish Dutta, head of the Computer Centre.
According to Srivastava , the machine operate at a peak performance of 307.2 Terra Flops (TF) and a realised performance of about 249 TF.
They said the new machine would be used for regular education, research and training purposes.
Ashish Dutta says “Supercomputers are used in many areas of science and engineering research. The general area of research that uses supercomputers is called High Performance Computing (HPC). HPC can simulate nuclear explosions, evolution of galaxies, effects of pacemaker redesign, genetics and genetic related diseases, medical drug discovery, aircraft light, aerodynamics, etc”.
The machine has been launched after extensive research by a seasoned team and the engineers behind the project felt that this is one of the best supercomputers.
The project cost Rs 48 crore to the institute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29