Mozilla launches Firefox OS for mobile
London: Mozilla, which is a not-for-profit organization, behind the Firefox web browser has announced handsets based on its operating system for mobile phones.
According to Jay Sullivan, vice president of products at Mozilla, Firefox phones are likely to be sold first in the developing world and Eastern Europe and will be at the cheaper end of the smartphone market.
He said manufacturers LG, ZTE, Huawei and TCL had all committed to building devices, with more firms "to follow".
According to an English news website, the platform is based on the HTML5 web programming language which, Sullivan says gave it an advantage over Apple and Android .
Mozilla described the Firefox OS as an "pen alternative," the report added.
Sullivan compared Mozilla`s foray into mobile as similar to its first steps in the desktop world with its browser.
The organisation said the first countries to get the Firefox handsets would be Brazil, Colombia, Hungary, Mexico, Montenegro, Poland, Serbia, Spain and Venezuela, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi