Mozilla launches Firefox OS for mobile
London: Mozilla, which is a not-for-profit organization, behind the Firefox web browser has announced handsets based on its operating system for mobile phones.
According to Jay Sullivan, vice president of products at Mozilla, Firefox phones are likely to be sold first in the developing world and Eastern Europe and will be at the cheaper end of the smartphone market.
He said manufacturers LG, ZTE, Huawei and TCL had all committed to building devices, with more firms "to follow".
According to an English news website, the platform is based on the HTML5 web programming language which, Sullivan says gave it an advantage over Apple and Android .
Mozilla described the Firefox OS as an "pen alternative," the report added.
Sullivan compared Mozilla`s foray into mobile as similar to its first steps in the desktop world with its browser.
The organisation said the first countries to get the Firefox handsets would be Brazil, Colombia, Hungary, Mexico, Montenegro, Poland, Serbia, Spain and Venezuela, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened