Mozilla launches Firefox OS for mobile
London: Mozilla, which is a not-for-profit organization, behind the Firefox web browser has announced handsets based on its operating system for mobile phones.
According to Jay Sullivan, vice president of products at Mozilla, Firefox phones are likely to be sold first in the developing world and Eastern Europe and will be at the cheaper end of the smartphone market.
He said manufacturers LG, ZTE, Huawei and TCL had all committed to building devices, with more firms "to follow".
According to an English news website, the platform is based on the HTML5 web programming language which, Sullivan says gave it an advantage over Apple and Android .
Mozilla described the Firefox OS as an "pen alternative," the report added.
Sullivan compared Mozilla`s foray into mobile as similar to its first steps in the desktop world with its browser.
The organisation said the first countries to get the Firefox handsets would be Brazil, Colombia, Hungary, Mexico, Montenegro, Poland, Serbia, Spain and Venezuela, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets