Nine govt websites defaced: NIC
New Delhi: Nine official websites including that of the Power Ministry, Maharashtra, Kerala and Uttarakhand Governments were defaced in the recent past, forcing the authorities to strengthen cyber security safeguards.
The websites www.kumbh2010haridwar.gov.in, www.ueppcb.uk.gov.in, www.gov.ua.nic.in/ujn, www.cdodoon.gov.in, www.arunachal.nic.in,www.bee-india.nic.in, www.civilsupplieskerala.gov.in, www.mpcb.gov.in and www.informatics.nic.in were defaced, the National Informatics Centre (NIC) under the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology said in an RTI reply.
"A number of hacking attempts are made on daily basis on governments websites hosted on NICNET servers. It is not possible to accurately quantify these. The attempts are
usually effectively blocked by security controls put in place," it said.
The Ministry was asked to give details of hacking attempts being made on the governments websites in the last ten years (2001-11) along with the names of Uniform Resource Locater (URL) of the portals and source of such attacks.
However, the NIC said that "no such compilation is available" on the URL or name of the portals which were victims of cyber attacks.
"Source of an attempt is mostly traced through Internet protocol (IP) numbers making these attacks. However, the IP number may not be correct country since usually attacker attempt to masquerade their origin," the NIC said in reply to an RTI query filed by PTI.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata