Nine govt websites defaced: NIC
New Delhi: Nine official websites including that of the Power Ministry, Maharashtra, Kerala and Uttarakhand Governments were defaced in the recent past, forcing the authorities to strengthen cyber security safeguards.
The websites www.kumbh2010haridwar.gov.in, www.ueppcb.uk.gov.in, www.gov.ua.nic.in/ujn, www.cdodoon.gov.in, www.arunachal.nic.in,www.bee-india.nic.in, www.civilsupplieskerala.gov.in, www.mpcb.gov.in and www.informatics.nic.in were defaced, the National Informatics Centre (NIC) under the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology said in an RTI reply.
"A number of hacking attempts are made on daily basis on governments websites hosted on NICNET servers. It is not possible to accurately quantify these. The attempts are
usually effectively blocked by security controls put in place," it said.
The Ministry was asked to give details of hacking attempts being made on the governments websites in the last ten years (2001-11) along with the names of Uniform Resource Locater (URL) of the portals and source of such attacks.
However, the NIC said that "no such compilation is available" on the URL or name of the portals which were victims of cyber attacks.
"Source of an attempt is mostly traced through Internet protocol (IP) numbers making these attacks. However, the IP number may not be correct country since usually attacker attempt to masquerade their origin," the NIC said in reply to an RTI query filed by PTI.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan