Social media users in India to reach 66 mn by June 2013
New Delhi: Social media users in urban India are estimated to reach 66 million by June 2013 on the back of availability of affordable smartphones and consequent mobile Internet use, a report said today.
"The number of social media users in urban India reached 62 million by December 2012 and it is estimated to reach 66 million by June 2013," a report on social media in India by the Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and Indian Market Research Bureau (IMRB) said.
The report said about 74 percent of all active Internet users in urban India use social media.
"The growth in the number of social networking users can be attributed to the rising Internet penetration in India, through increasing affordability of smartphones and consequent mobile Internet use," the report said.
As per the findings, of the 80 million active Internet users in Urban India, 72 percent (58 million individuals) have accessed some form of social networking.
"They may have accessed social media using a personal computer, laptop or even a mobile device, as the illustration suggests," it added.
The report said social media usage ranks only after email (80 percent) in terms of usage.
"Essentially, social networking often serves to be among the first Internet uses of Internet in India, besides the usual reasons like email, music and gaming," it said.
Facebook is the most accessed website with 97 percent of all individuals using it followed by Google+ and LinkedIn.
However, LinkedIn has the highest proportion among women and users above 25 years. In fact, LinkedIn has the second highest average time spent only after Facebook.
"The average time spent by Indian netizens was 29.6 minutes on weekdays as compared to 28.8 minutes on weekend days," the report added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'