Tajik authorities order to block access to opposition websites
Dushanbe: The biggest and oldest internet service provider in Tajikistan, Tajiktelecom Technology, has blocked early on Monday access to the social networking website Facebook and some other popular opposition websites, including Centrasia, Tjknews.com, Svezda.ru, a Tajiktelecom staffer told Tass referring to "an instruction from the authorities".
"We received an instruction `from above` and we cannot resist the authorities," he admitted. All attempts to get official comments from head of the Communication Service Bek Zukhurov have failed. However, his aide who refused to be identified, said laconically by telephone that "the decision was made at the request of the population that had flooded the ministry leadership with numerous complains about distorted and unverified internet information.
At the present moment several other internet service providers have restricted access to websites. This is not the first attempt of the Tajik authorities to block access to opposition web resources. At the height of an anti-terrorist operation in Tajikistan`s Pamir region in the autumn of 2010, four information resources were closed whose stance on the developments differed from that of the authorities. Later, they were reopened for Internet users under the pressure of independent media outlets and international organizations.
Last year, Facebook doubled the number of its users in the republic to 26,000 people. Several popular groups were opened on Facebook, which actively discussed activities of the government and the president, and some of the users openly called for a revolution on the Arab scenario.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations