Twitter issues new rules to control abusive language
Zee Media Bureau
London: In a bid to counter abusive language, Twitter has issued its new rules. This move was generated after several high-profile British women reported receiving a flood of nasty, harassing or threatening messages on the micro-blogging site.
In a message posted to its website, Twitter says it is introducing a one-click button to report abuse and updating its rules to clarify that "we do not tolerate abusive behavior".
Twitter’s General Manager Tony Wang said he wanted to "personally apologize to the women who have experienced abuse on Twitter and for what they have gone through."
The one-click button means that users will not have to navigate to Twitter’s help center in order to fill out an abuse form — a process some said was too cumbersome to deal with a mass of angry messages — while the new rules includes a stricture against “targeted abuse,” something which could include slamming a single user with messages from multiple accounts, creating an account purely to harass someone, or making threats.
Over the past week Britain`s media has been full of stories detailing the angry misogyny and gruesome rape threats directed against female public figures, including journalists, campaigners and lawmakers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video