WhatsApp says it has more users than Twitter
Los Angeles: Messaging app WhatsApp now has more users than Twitter, company founder and CEO Jan Koum said at the AllThingsD Dive Into Mobile conference in New York.
Declining to cite a specific figure, Koum said WhatsApp has more than 200 million monthly active users who generate an average of 8 billion inbound messages and 12 billion outbound messages per day.
Twitter has 200 million monthly active users.
The WhatsApp Messenger, which is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android and Nokia, allows users to exchange messages without having to pay for SMS.
After providing the service for free since its founding in 2009, WhatsApp is gradually phasing in an annual fee of 99 cents.
Koum denied rumours that he is in talks to sell WhatsApp to Google.
"Our goal is to build a sustainable, independent company. We want to build a business," he said at the Dive Into Mobile Conference, where he also ruled-out abandoning WhatsApp`s policy against running ads.
"Mobile and messaging is the only thing we do," Koum said, rejecting the notion of turning WhatsApp into a broader platform that would include games, advertising and other features.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!