Assam: 49 children die in govt hospital in 2 month
Karimganj: At least 49 children have
died in the past two months at a government hospital in
south Assam`s Barak Valley.
The children, in the age group of 0-12 years, have died
at the Karimganj Civil Hospital, according to a senior
official of the hospital.
"Over 40 children have died in the hospital since
January. They had been admitted to the hospital on account of
various ailments including diarrhoea and dysentery," Karimganj
Civil Hospital Incharge Superintendent, Swapan Kumar Sen told
a news agency.
The latest incident occurred last night when another baby
died and this led to a minor law and order problem at the
hospital`s premises, he said.
The parents of the children who expired have alleged
that the death occurred due to negligence of the attending
District authorities have assured of a magisterial
"I will send a magistrate to the hospital tomorrow to
find out the facts," Karimganj district Deputy Commissioner J
All the deaths have taken place in the hospital`s
The hospital is the only major state sector health care
centre of its kind in the entire district, which has a
population of 12.5 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror