Brahmaputra river dries up in Arunachal
Itanagar: The Siang (Brahmaputra) river
originating from Tibet was suddenly found to have almost dried
up at a town in Arunachal Pradesh, a state government
spokesman said on Thursday night.
People of century-old Pasighat town in East Siang
district found that the water level of the river receded so
much this evening that it almost dried, Tako Dabi said.
Dabi, also the political advisor to Chief Minister Nabam
Tuki, expressed apprehension that China could have diverted
the water of the river, which is known as Yarlong Tsangpo in
Tibet, or there could be some artificial blockade due to which
this has happened.
On June 9, 2000, the water level of Siang rose suddenly
by 30 m and inundated almost the entire township causing
widespread destruction to property besides claiming seven
lives following the collapse of a hydropower dam in Tibet,
said Dabi, who himself inspected the dried bed of the river.
Dabi suggested that the Centre and its agencies like the
Central Water Commission should immediately conduct a study in
collaboration with the state government to find the crux of
The panic of the people cannot be simply brushed off, he
Yarlung Tsangpo, the highest river in the world, is a
watercourse that originates at Tamlung Tso Lake in western
Tibet, southeast of Mount Kailash and Lake Manasarovar.
It later forms the South Tibet Valley and Yarlung Tsangpo
Grand Canyon, before entering India at Tuting in Arunachal as
Siang, takes the name of Brahmaputra in Assam and enters
Bangladesh and is known as Megna.
In the Upper Mekong Basin in Yunnan Province, China has
planned to construct eight cascade hydropower dams, the first
of which, the Manwan Dam, was completed in 1996.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack