Crackdown on MGNREGA defaulters in Meghalaya
Shillong: Ensuring strict implementation of the flagship MGNREGA programme of the Centre in Meghalaya, the government has initiated strict action against defaulting Village Employment Councils (VEC) for misappropriation of funds and non-completion of projects listed, officials said today.
10 FIRs have been lodged against VEC secretaries for criminal conspiracy, misappropriation of funds, cheating, fraud, criminal breach of trust for irregularities in implementation of the MGNREGA scheme, Pravin Bakshi, West Garo Hills Deputy Commissioner who is also the District Programme Coordinator of the scheme, said.
The decision to take action against defaulters was taken last week at a meeting of the Block Development Officers and other officials following the Union Ministry’s withholding funds to the tune of Rs 55 Crore for not taking strict action against defaulters in the district.
In Meghalaya, in the absence of the Panchayati system, the MGNREGA is implemented by the Village Employment Council having all beneficiaries of the scheme as members.
The district administration has been directed to take strictest possible action following the findings of social audit which was subsequently verified by social audit public hearings in the respective villages, the district administrator said.
The FIRs were lodged in Dalu PS, Ampati PS, Phulbari PS, Garobadha PS and Araimile PS and directions have been given to the officers-in charge of these police stations to register cases against the VEC secretaries, failure of which has to be given in writing to the district authorities, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon