Crackdown on MGNREGA defaulters in Meghalaya
Shillong: Ensuring strict implementation of the flagship MGNREGA programme of the Centre in Meghalaya, the government has initiated strict action against defaulting Village Employment Councils (VEC) for misappropriation of funds and non-completion of projects listed, officials said today.
10 FIRs have been lodged against VEC secretaries for criminal conspiracy, misappropriation of funds, cheating, fraud, criminal breach of trust for irregularities in implementation of the MGNREGA scheme, Pravin Bakshi, West Garo Hills Deputy Commissioner who is also the District Programme Coordinator of the scheme, said.
The decision to take action against defaulters was taken last week at a meeting of the Block Development Officers and other officials following the Union Ministry’s withholding funds to the tune of Rs 55 Crore for not taking strict action against defaulters in the district.
In Meghalaya, in the absence of the Panchayati system, the MGNREGA is implemented by the Village Employment Council having all beneficiaries of the scheme as members.
The district administration has been directed to take strictest possible action following the findings of social audit which was subsequently verified by social audit public hearings in the respective villages, the district administrator said.
The FIRs were lodged in Dalu PS, Ampati PS, Phulbari PS, Garobadha PS and Araimile PS and directions have been given to the officers-in charge of these police stations to register cases against the VEC secretaries, failure of which has to be given in writing to the district authorities, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray