Devotees take a holy dip in Arunachal kund
Itanagar: Nearly 75,000 devotees, including
hundreds of sadhus from across the country, took a holy dip in
Parshuram Kund in Lohit district of Arunachal Pradesh on the
occasion of Makar Sankranti on Sunday.
Most of the pilgrims from Nepal, Manipur, Maharastra,
Rajasthan, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh and various parts of Assam and
Arunachal Pradesh made a beeline to the holy site since
January 13 last, Lohit deputy commissioner R K Sharma said.
Last year about 70000 pilgrims thronged the kund and
took a holy dip.
This year the number of visitors was almost same as that
of last year and the overall figure of the pilgrims visiting
the holy kund would be about one lakh which may be completed
till end of this month. However, a few vehicles carrying
pilgrims are still coming in, the DC said.
On the mela site, free food was provided to the
pilgrims by the Parshuram Sewa Samity and Manav Utthan Seva
Samity of Tinsukia in neighbouring Assam besides Border Road
Organization and some other NGOs.
A free medical camp was also been organized by 25th Bn
of ITBP, district medical authorities, Arunachal Pali
Vidyapith, Chongkham and Arun Jyoti.
Round-the-clock volunteers to help the aged pilgrims
and to control the crowd were being provided by Vivekananda
Kendra and Arun Jyoti, Tezu. The district police authorities
have made security arrangements and deployed adequate police
and paramilitary forces.
Swami Adhokshanand, the Sankaracharya of Goverdhanpeeth
also visited the kund and took a holy dip. He expressed
satisfaction about the arrangement and wished a peaceful life
to the people.
According to the legend recorded in the Kalika Purana,
Srimat Bhagawata and the Mahabharata, sage Parsurama washed
away his sin of matricide in the waters of the Lohit River at
Situated within the Kamlang reserve forest, the Kund is
surrounded by dense forest of Ruddhraksha trees, the fruit of
which is considered sacred to Hindu ascetics as well as
general believers of the faith.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!