Hasina visit: Security tightened in Agartala
Agartala: Ahead of the visit of Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, the Indian government has tightened security along the India-Bangladesh border by deploying additional troopers, an officer said here Sunday.
"The Union Home Ministry has deployed an additional two battalions of BSF (Border Security Force) along Tripura (which shares an 856- km-long border with Bangladesh)," BSF`s Tripura frontier inspector general PC Meena told reporters.
"Security along the border with other northeastern states has also been strengthened. Though there is no specific security threat to the Bangladesh premier, additional deployment has been done in vulnerable areas of the border to foil any intrusion bid from across the border," he added.
The India-Bangla border in Tripura has 20 air-maintained BOPs (border outposts) where logistics support and supplies are being provided by helicopters.
According to the BSF officer, out of 856 km of Tripura`s border with Bangladesh, over 650 km has so far been fenced and the remaining part is expected to be completed by this year end. Floodlighting of the bordering areas has been undertaken.
Tripura chief secretary SK Panda told reporters here that separate teams of special security forces from Dhaka and New Delhi arrived here last week to give foolproof security to Hasina and the accompanying dignitaries.
"Separate teams of special security forces from Dhaka and New Delhi arrived here Thursday to give foolproof security to Hasina and accompanying dignitaries."
Hasina, accompanied by six Bangladesh ministers, including Foreign Minister Dipu Moni, will pay a two-day maiden visit to Tripura Jan 11-12. A 65-member delegation of traders and intellectuals will accompany her.
Besides Hasina, Indian Vice President Hamid Ansari would also attend the Tripura Central University`s ninth convocation Jan 12, when an honorary doctorate will be conferred on Hasina.
The Tripura government will host a civic reception for Hasina and Ansari.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal