`Law and order situation improving in northeast`
New Delhi: The law and order situation in the northeast is improving and the government expects to help in enhancing developmental work in the region, the minister in-charge of the region`s development said Thursday.
Briefing reporters after meeting the chief ministers of the region, Minister of State for Development of North Eastern Region (DoNER) Paban Singh Ghatowar also said that he, along with chief ministers from all northeastern states, will soon be meeting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for discussing developmental issues of the area.
"The law and order situation has improved by and large. Nearly all insurgent groups are at the table with the government for talks," Ghatowar said.
"Insurgency and law and order problem should not be much of a deterrent to the development work, but because of the weather and geographical conditions, the speed is restricted," he said.
"Improving connectivity to the region tops the chart, with proposals for new railway lines and roads," said Ghatowar said.
The minister said seeing the situation as created by the recent blockades, the government is planning to build more connecting highways to the northeastern states.
Asked about the date of meeting with Prime Minister, Ghatowar said a date will be finalised based on convenience of the chief ministers, approximately in a month`s time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report