NHPC concern on delay of dam construction
Guwahati: National Hydro Electric Power
Coporation (NHPC) has expressed serious concern at the delay
in the construction of lower Subansiri dam project in
Arunachal Pradesh due to agitations and said fears about it
were influenced by outsiders.
"Construction work has come to a halt which could
ultimately push the project cost from the initial Rs 6000
crore to as much as Rs 15000 crore which will be great loss to
the exchequer," NHPC general manager Om Prakash told reporters
here Friday night.
He allayed fears that the dam will have adverse
downstream effect and said all safety measures have been taken
and there was absolutely no fear of flood and
Dismissing fears raised by an expert committee on the
dam project that norms were not followed, Prakash said before
the start of work top experts of the country were consulted
and the project was taken up after it.
Various student groups and local organisations are
confused about the technalities of the construction and
are influenced by outsiders, Prakash said adding ``We are
ready to talk to anyone and allay their apprehension.``
``The people should understand there NHPC is a
competent authority to build dams as it had done similar and
successful work throughout the country,`` he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing