NHPC concern on delay of dam construction
Guwahati: National Hydro Electric Power
Coporation (NHPC) has expressed serious concern at the delay
in the construction of lower Subansiri dam project in
Arunachal Pradesh due to agitations and said fears about it
were influenced by outsiders.
"Construction work has come to a halt which could
ultimately push the project cost from the initial Rs 6000
crore to as much as Rs 15000 crore which will be great loss to
the exchequer," NHPC general manager Om Prakash told reporters
here Friday night.
He allayed fears that the dam will have adverse
downstream effect and said all safety measures have been taken
and there was absolutely no fear of flood and
Dismissing fears raised by an expert committee on the
dam project that norms were not followed, Prakash said before
the start of work top experts of the country were consulted
and the project was taken up after it.
Various student groups and local organisations are
confused about the technalities of the construction and
are influenced by outsiders, Prakash said adding ``We are
ready to talk to anyone and allay their apprehension.``
``The people should understand there NHPC is a
competent authority to build dams as it had done similar and
successful work throughout the country,`` he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam