NHRC camp in Assam and Meghalaya from May 28
Guwahati: A delegation of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), led by its chairman Justice (Retd) KG Balakrishnan would hold a three-day camp sitting in Assam and Meghalaya from May 28 to reach out to far-flung areas.
The camp sittings aims to dispose of pending cases by hearing senior government officers, sensitise them about importance of human rights issues and compliance of NHRC recommendations, meet local NGOs and brief media for wider dissemination of information on human rights issues, an official release said here today.
The first sitting will be held here for two days from May 28 and on May 30 at Shillong.
Altogether 50 cases concerning of Assam will be considered for disposal and out of these 17 cases will be heard at the full Commission sitting chaired by Justice Balakrishnan. The rest of the cases would be taken up by two separate division benches.
The cases for Assam include rehabilitation of children rendered orphan or destitute in communal riots in upper Assam districts, starvation deaths in Cachar district, alleged eviction of about 6000 adivasis by forest officials from Lungsun forest area.
The other cases include denial of basic facilities to the residents of 22 villages in Kamrup district, witch hunting, sexual exploitation of women, deprivation of source of livelihood to 300 families facing eviction, illegal coal mining in Tinsukia district and deaths in encounter and custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III
- Read this to know where Barack Obama will stay after retirement!
- Virat Kohli plays straight without compromising technique: Sachin Tendulkar
- PMO monitoring social media activity of ministers, tutoring them to efficiently use Twitter, Facebook: Report
- Kaka called up for Brazil's Centenary Copa America squad
- I see every day as a new day: Virat Kohli on his dream run