Peaceful celebration of I-Day in Nagaland
Kohima: The nation`s 66th Independence Day was celebrated peacefully in Nagaland on Wednesday with Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio asking underground groups to uphold their commitment for peace and re-conciliation among themselves.
Unfurling the tricolour at the civil secretariat ground, Rio also appealed to them to "listen to the voice of the people, who are crying for an honourable settlement of the six-decade-old Naga political issue".
An endeavour for re-conciliation among various underground groups continued under the initiative of Forum for Naga Re-conciliation with active support from the Churches, tribal hohos (councils) and civil societies, he said.
For the first time in the state`s history, all the 60 MLAs cutting across party lines came together and adopted a resolution on July 19 to urge negotiating parties to expedite the on-going peace talks for an honourable solution of the Naga political problem, he said.
The MLAs also met central leaders in New Delhi and urged the Centre to expedite the peace talks, Rio said.
"It is matter of great satisfaction that we have enjoyed relative peace during the last few years barring a few incidents of factional fightings," Rio said and lauded the roles of Churches, hohos, civil societies, police and security forces in maintaining peace and normalcy in the state.
The chief minister also mentioned about the special plan allocation of Rs 330 crore made by the plan panel for four underdeveloped border districts of Nagaland.
Since attaining statehood in 1960s, Nagaland has made rapid development in all spheres, but a lot more needed to be done, the chief minister said.
Unlike several other states in the Northeast, no organisation has called for strike today in Nagaland.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?