Tagore sites to be renovated; Central team on visit
Shillong: On the occasion of the 150th
anniversary of Rabindranath Tagore, a Central team arrived
here on Wednesday to prepare a report for renovating historic sites
associated with the bard during his stay here.
"India is commemorating 150th birth anniversary of Tagore
in a big way, and the Ministry of Culture wanted to renovate
sites associated with him especially in Shillong," the head of
the team, Director of Raja Rammohan Roy Library Foundation,
Kolkata, K K Banerjee, said.
Banerjee visited the state government owned Brookside
Bungalow and Jeet Bhumi, a nearby bungalow which is now
privately owned. Tagore had stayed in these places during his
visits to Shillong.
Tagore stayed at Brookside for about a month when he
visited the hill city in 1919. His finest tribute to Shillong
is his celebrated novel Shesher Kabita, which he wrote here in
1928. Tagore composed the play, Raktakarabi while staying at
Jeet Bhumi, according to available records.
Banerjee met Chief Secretary W M S Pariat and is
scheduled to meet representatives from social and cultural
circles during his three-day stay here.
The team`s visit followed repeated request by writer and
researcher Malabika Bisharad to set up a library and a Tagore
Research Institute at the Brookside campus.
Last year, Sidli House, another house where Tagore stayed
was brought down by its new owner.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Bollywood 2016: Sexiest posters of the year so far
- Eat these superfoods for healthy stomach!
- Delhi Police recovers precious dagger stolen from Nehru Museum, arrests 2
- When Subramanian Swamy provoked Congress leaders with 'Italian Constitution' jibe
- Meldonium count in Maria Sharapova's blood sample exceeds permissible levels: Russian Sports Minister