Three killed in Tripura cyclone
Agartala: Cyclonic storms accompanied by lightning continue to create havoc in Tripura, killing three more people Wednesday, taking the death toll to 15, an official said here Thursday.
"Sunil Chandra Das, a farmer from the Lankamura area near Agartala and Rana Ram Reang from Ampi in southern Tripura died after lightning struck them late Wednesday. Reang`s wife Malini Jamatia was also critically injured in the lightning," said an official of the relief department.
Another middle-aged woman was killed in northern Tripura as the inclement weather conditions continue in the state.
With this, at least 15 people have died during this seasonal Nor`wester striking the state in the middle of April.
The annual recurring squalls accompanied by rains, thunder storms, lightning and hail storms have razed more than 5,000 houses and disrupted power supply and telecommunication across the northeastern state.
"Border Security Force troopers, civil defence workers and district officials are busy providing relief. Efforts are on to restore communication lines and power supplies," the official said.
According to the official, over 60 people, injured during the storm in the past few days, are still being treated in state government hospitals, while two critically injured people have been shifted to a Kolkata hospital for treatment.
According to government estimates, the loss of property and standing crops is to the tune of around Rs.100 crore.
The government has sanctioned Rs.1,000 to Rs.10,000 as immediate relief assistance to each affected family.
The meteorological department in Agartala Thursday forecast spell of rains and cyclonic storms in the next 48 hours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead