Two clouded leopard skins seized in Assam
Guwahati: Two skins of endangered clouded leopards have been seized and two people have been arrested near the famed Manas Tiger Reserve in Assam, an official said.
Following a tip-off, a team led by Bhuyanpara forest range officer Adhan Oza Saturday raided a shop in Milan Bazar in Baksa district, some 20 km from the reserve, leading to the recovery of the skins, which were six months old.
Two people who had come to sell the illegal items were arrested, Oza said. The accused were produced at the Barpeta district sessions court, and after which they were sent to Barpeta jail.
Clouded leopards are protected under Schedule 1 of the Wild life Protection Act 1972 - the highest protection accorded to endangered wild animals in India.
This was the second seizure by Oza and his team last week.
On April 3, a leopard skin was seized and one person was arrested in Bhogpur Ghat on the eastern boundary of the reserve. The arrested person told the investigators that he had been paid Rs.2,000 to transport the skin to another location. He was sent to jail.
However, one of the two carrying the skin managed to escape on a bicycle.
Clouded leopards (Neofelis nebulosa) are smaller in size than the leopards (Panthera pardus), smallest of the four big cats.
The Manas sanctuary, spread across more than 2,000 sq km on the foothills of the Himalayas, is home to tigers, elephants, wild buffaloes, rhinos, clouded leopards and leopards, among other animals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery