36 held for hunting animals in Odisha park
Bhubaneswar: At least 36 persons, mostly local tribals, were arrested for hunting animals in Odisha`s famed Simlipal National Park, one of India`s first Project Tiger reserves, an official said on Saturday.
About 23 country-made guns and half a quintal of raw sambar meat were seized from them, Anup Nayak, field director of the tiger reserve said.
About one thousand people from 10-12 villages of the nearby areas had sneaked into the national park Feb 20 for mass hunting of animals.
Wildlife and forest officials had confronted them a number of times during the past four days. While many of the villagers returned, several others were still hunting the animals inside the park, said Nayak.
A team of about 100 forest, wild life and ex-Army personnel launched a joint operation on Friday and managed to arrest 36 of them, he said.
Efforts are on to nab others who are still present inside the forest, Nayak added.
Located some 320 km from here, Simlipal is home to many Royal Bengal Tigers and elephants. It is the biggest reserve forest block of India with an area of 2271.78 square kilometers.
Similipal is also a prominent biosphere reserve, wild life sanctuary, and elephant reserve.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata